Monday, December 5, 2011

Worth the Effort

Worth the Effort

Well people, it appears that time has taken its course and moved our lives that much further into the progression of things. As I look back and sort through the new arsenal of information that I have at my command from this English class, it gives me a feeling of magnified capacity to accomplish future tasks that I will be faced with. I have a new respect for the complexity of topics, especially the importance of “skewering” points around the major topic being presented. Using technology as a foundation for each assignment served to give a feeling of direction while providing the freedom to choose topics within the category of technology. Individuals in the class were able to give their own personal perspectives and emotion to the assignments.

I appreciated the progression of the topics that were presented in class and for our major assignments. Applying writing tactics to a wide range of writing formats was particularly helpful, seeing how writing is adapted depending on the situation, audience, topic, and purpose of the writing. Flowing from free writing and personal reflection helped in preparation for understanding analysis and critical thinking when analyzing text. From this, a focus on research was the next most natural step in effective writing, encompassing the annotated bibliography, and again incorporating previously discussed writing skills, analysis, personal reflection and research while working on the I-search essay. All of this culminating in the final work of the argumentative essay.

Taking a specific stance on a topic was difficult. Considering all possible sides of a topic while still maintaining a firm, clear, specific argument that is interesting and enjoyable for the target reader was a great challenge. I did feel my portion of fumbling around in the dark in my attempts to convey my words in an intelligent and academic format. While I feel that I have gleaned added skills in and enhanced the depth of my writing, I also want to continue to cultivate the sapling understanding which I have begun to enjoy. All in all, it was an exhausting, but rewarding quarter for English.

1 comment:

  1. Your final selected topic was very interesting! And it fit our overall topic at hand very well. Your added insight (and personal photos) made it all the more moving. I know you worked hard this quarter! I appreciated having you in class and getting to know you. I do hope that you keep writing because you are very good at it - and your perspective and worldly concerns are worth sharing. Stop by and see me in my cubicle in the quarters to come!

    ReplyDelete